Wow... I can't believe the first 8 weeks are over! Lots happened this week, but I'll start with Observation #2.
Dr. Mortimore came in on Tuesday, but my co-op and I had co-taught on Monday and Tuesday, so Dr. Mortimore only saw me teach half a lesson, using my co-op's lesson plans. Because I told her the wrong time (sorry again!), she saw the highest-level class instead of the lower-level class we both wanted her to see. However, she did comment on how great the students were. Even though this observation didn't provide evidence of my lesson-planning, it still showed my classroom management and teaching style.
Looking back on the past 8 weeks, I don't think I could have enjoyed my time more. Though there were times when I felt like I was having absolutely no effect on the students, or when I felt like I wasn't able to connect with them, I realized at the end that they really did appreciate me and learn from what I had to say. A big part of this was through the journals I had them use. Each student was able to decorate a cover to reflect their personalities and attach it to notebook paper. Over the course of the few weeks I taught poetry, the students completed 13 entries in their journals. They were graded entries, and some kids did the minimum amount of work. Others (I'll bring 2 examples with me on Monday) put a LOT of effort into their entries. On my last day, I sent around a journal for the kids to sign to me (like a yearbook), and I read all the students' notes last night. They really seemed to appreciate the journals and enjoy writing in them, so I was pleased with how they worked. I will continue the journals in my next placement since my Teacher Research Project is based on the journals.
Overall, I feel like I grew as a teacher throughout this experience. My lesson plans have improved a lot since methods, and I have learned how to manage a classroom and incorporate creative elements.
I wanted to finally share one of the best experiences from these past 8 weeks. We had a field trip on Thursday, and there were 5 chaperones on my bus (I was one of them). On the way to the Whitaker Center, I sat in the back to supervise from there. On the way back to school, I parked myself in the front of the bus to talk to the other chaperones, but I heard the girls in the back yelling, "Mrs. Becker, come sit with us!!! PLEASE?!?!?" For some reason, that just made me feel great!
See you all tomorrow!
It's almost the end
16 years ago

Hang in there with the high schoolers. My advice once you start teaching them is just to keep them busy. If you keep them moving then they won't have time to talk about that. Also, just be firm with them. Tell them that they can talk about that on their own time and they can use that language elsewhere. If you enforce it then they'll get it. They may grumble a little but they'll understand that you're in charge.
ReplyDelete