Saturday, March 6, 2010

Week 7

Well, my second observation didn't happen this week (coming next week), and a blog isn't required because of the Student Teacher Self Report Form. However, my school had an inservice day on Friday, so I thought I'd write about that.

The day was focused on common assessments, so the eighth grade teachers from both middle schools in the district got together to figure out the Final Exam for all the eighth graders. I am terrible at thinking of good, higher-level questions, but I was able to provide some input into this discussion. One of the other teachers sent us all a copy of her Anne Frank unit test so we could pull some questions from that for the final, but they were all memorization of facts that weren't even that important in the grand scheme of things. It encouraged me that I was able to come up with better questions than some of the other teachers. It also was helpful for me to be a part of this because it gave me a chance to be involved with more members of the English department of this district and show them (including the department chair) what I am capable of.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Megan! I also had the chance to be part of an inservice day at my placement. I totally know what you mean when you said that you could show them what you know. I love when I am sitting in meetings and I understand all that is going on and I can participate. What did you say about the Anne Frank test that the one teacher made with just memorization questions? Did you have a chance to talk to other teachers about it or to the teacher who made it?

    ReplyDelete