Monday, February 1, 2010

Parents...

We had a nice talk about parents at our team meeting last week, and we talked about how one girl's mom is going over the teachers' heads to the administration because she thinks teachers are telling the student she may not leave their study halls, etc, to take her instrument lessons.

The idea of parents going over teachers' heads really annoys me. Follow the "chain of command" and voice your complaints to the appropriate venue.

This reminded me of something from Ad Lit: I call it the "Anne Frank Issue." Read this article for more!

2 comments:

  1. Yes! The "Anne Frank Issue!" Thanks for publishing this link! I didn't realize other districts had similar experiences to the one in my former school district. I'll be happy to refer to this in the future.

    I agree, Megan, that it would be ideal if parents followed "the chain of command." At times I feel this is yet another way that a teachers authority as the classroom and content "expert" is being undermined. Don't forget to assert this when you do finally have the opportunity to come face to face with your "concerned" parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan! My "team" is also having a problem with one parent in particular who is believing everything she hears from her daughter (one of those snotty girls who thinks the world revolves around her). The parent is even threatening to homeschool her daughter because administration won't listen - well, that's because it's not their job! She should have gone to the teachers! Now the teachers are in the backseat and they didn't even know that there was a problem.
    Thanks for the article. :)

    ReplyDelete